Top 10 Reasons We Need Trees
Source: USDA Forest Service
1. Trees help purify the air we breathe by absorbing pollutants.
2. Trees increase property values and improve the tax base in communities.
3. Trees improve neighborhood appeal, attract businesses, shoppers and homeowners.
4. Trees cool our cities and towns by reducing heat generated by buildings and paved surfaces.
5. Tree shade, properly placed, can save an average household up to $250 annually in energy costs.
6. Trees reduce the amount of pollutants in sewer systems, saving communities millions of dollars in water treatment costs.
7. Trees soften harsh building lines and large expanses of pavement, making urban environments much more pleasant.
8. Trees provide habitat for birds and other wildlife, maintaining a balance with nature even in urban areas.
9. Trees reduce the amount of water-borne pollutants that reach streams and rivers.
10. Trees reduce levels of domestic violence and foster safer, more sociable neighborhood environments.
A Tree Will Take The Heat For You
A tree will take the heat for you
when a stone cannot be found
when the sun is bearing down
in a great hot force
that staggers you
a tree casts a cool shade
almost liquid as you walk along
a thousand feet beneath
the lowest singing leaf.
A tree will take the wind for you
bending into it from far away
so all you hear is rustling
and the creak of wooden limbs
as you lean against it – safe
it will take the rain for you
and roll it round in a riverbed
of living leaves high overhead.
A tree will stand by you
in all kinds of weather
and even when you’re lonely
a tree will hold the earth still
in its green grip
so you can climb up like a child
into its arms and be held there
in creature music
with bugs and birds unafraid
part of the music now
part of the shade.
Message from: Earth Defense League
” The enforcement and protection of our global ecology is urgently needed if we are to prevent passing the environmental point of no return. We are asking all individuals and groups to join and unite with us to bring about social change to save the future for all living things.”